Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Three books by Cormac McCarthy

This won't be a politics blog or a sports blog or a culture blog. I don't pretend to have any insider knowledge. I don't live in Washington D.C. I'm not following anything that closely. I don't even have cable television - though that may change here pretty soon.
I'm starting from scratch really. Maybe that's how it's done, by noticing little things that people say or do and posting them on my Blog.
It's about creating a universe, fictional or otherwise, that people find interesting. I do it for myself, but I do it for whoever takes the time to read.....maybe it's something I've read like three books by Cormac McCarthy.
I've always wanted to read McCarthy, but had trouble reading him until I took up The Road. I read the first lines to myself like a father reading directions on medicine for his sick child. After awhile, it became a kind of poetry and I got hooked.
Sometimes we live on the road where forces are conspiring to get us and hunger grows and desperation emerges.
But small moments carry us through the day, maybe it's the connection with a loved one or a piece of fruit.
Not that looked at literally anything in The Road could compare to contemporary America, approaching the end of 2007.
We don't have to scavenge our neighbor's food lockers or eat other people for that matter, although I did think about going down to Costco and buying one of those 2 month supply kits and a shotgun after reading this book.
But there was a different landscape in the book that exists for us in our current world - the human landscape.
The father and son survive unimaginable circumstances in a realistic way. Their dialog is just how a parent and child talk to each other in every day life, but the subject matter is so striking.

I will find some examples::::

Then I read the first of McCarthy's Border Trilogy - All the Pretty Horses.
John Grady Cole is similar to the unnamed father in The Road because both go to places where most people would resort to lesser human forms -like cannibalism- but both refuse to go there.
Not even after he's (spoiler) been kicked around a Mexican jail and denied one last time by his Mexican flame. Cole learns that it doesn't matter whether you get the girl, or get the money, but there's no damn way they can take away your horse. Or your friends' horses, for that matter.
After reading The Road and All the Pretty Horses, I skipped ahead to No Country for Old Men, which recently became an Ethan and Joel Coen Bros. movie, with a screenplay written by another of my favorite Western writers - Larry McMurtry.
I think I got the book pretty well. It's essentially a violent book that doesn't let you get too attached to any one character because they keep getting dead.
His characters go the opposite direction of The Road and All the Pretty Horses - towards the diabolical. There's an undercurrent of pure evil that has taken over in this book. Maybe the aging sheriff is the last one that can save it. Maybe he's too late.
I found the sheriff's voice-over narration (in the book) annoying. Overall, a good read that kept the pages turning, but a disappointing ending so much that I skipped a few pages of it.
I read the book thinking about how it could be made into a Coen Bros movie. I'm hoping it's better.

No comments: