Tuesday, December 04, 2007

news

Reading the news is always an interesting experience, especially when you've reported it. I mean, what do you really know from a story? Has the writer really looked at all sides or are his or her personal biases slyly hid from view? What was his or her frame of mind when she wrote the story? I am less convinced that we have an unbiased media the more I see my own viewpoints, and how they interact with a story. I try to clear my mind, ask tough questions and present all sides to a story.
The reporter's mind is always under siege by questions of objectivity. I am sitting in an interview, formulating questions, trying to steer the conversation towards my questions, and I can tell my subjects see where I'm heading. It's somewhat easier when you know your subjects, but that's the rub. You cannot protect them from serious questions when you know them. You must become a vessel through which the serious questions are asked.
In a way, this form of journalism is impersonal. I am not taking sides, nor am I jumping to conclusions. I am asking the questions that I know will be asked by my editor, and my readers. I am the only one who can ask these questions.
And I love it when people want their stories to be told. I don't love it as much when I am faced with evasive subjects. But that's the challenge!
Here in Central Oregon, there are so many interesting stories to be told. I am learning to find a variety of viewpoints for every story.

No comments: