Sunday, August 23, 2009

I am getting on with it here in UAE, working hard at learning the language, staying fit at the Rotana Beach (cheeky) Hotel, and visiting some far flung parts of the country.

Al Ain was interesting. Though didn't see many people, who I hear were all indoors during the first day of Ramadan, I got to see the main historic sigths with a few friends.

For the most part, we stayed out of the heat, but when we were outdoors, it was more comfortable because Al Ain doesn't get the humidity we get in Abu Dhabi.

It was 44 yesterday, but I barely broke a sweat because of the lack of moisture in the air.

Saw the former residence of Sheik Zayed (may Peace be upon him) and the Jumeri Fon rt with my friends Sarah, Jonny and Meeghan, all of Canada. Good times.

Also had some amazing strawberry and lemon juice with friend Amy Moser at the Rotana Hotel.

We tried to get a cab home in a gold cab, which I knew would be a mistake the moment I sat in the seat next to the driver.

An Afghani, he was a bit hot-headed. I could tell he didn't like me even before I told him I was American.

To sum, the man drove fast and erratic. We told him to stop. He wouldn't.

He wanted my hat, a cheesy fisherman's garment. I offered it to him. He wouldn't accept and kept driving faster and zigzagging through traffic.

"Schway, schway!" we said. Slow down.
"You get angry at me, I get angry at you!" was his retort, speaking surprisingly good English.

I told him my friend's dad was a doctor, and he wanted him to be safe, a story my friend Jonny had told me on the bus ride to Al Ain.

He didn't quite get it.

The girls threatened to call 999, which is the police. The Afghani started to desist. I will drive slower, he said. La, la, no no. you had your chance. Pull over! I said.

He finally did, letting us out about 3 km outside of town.

He had to find a taxi to get back to the bus station.

No comments: